Interview with Deborah Uetz, Author of INTO THE MIST, WHEN SOMEONE YOU LOVE HAS ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE

My name is Deborah Uetz. My degree is in Education with post graduate work in Art Therapy. My husband and I make our home in the Midwest. I am a wife, a mother, and a grandmother. After teaching for a decade I decided to pursue my love of writing. When my father was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease , the path my writing career was to take seemed to chose me. My brother, Dave Glover is a radio talk show host in the St. Louis Mo. area, he has always been very supportive of my writing.

I can be reached at the Ask Dutchy website, a wonderful resource for those caring for an Alzheimer’s loved one. I can be found at http://www.mycarelink.net/ a wonderful resource for caregivers and their families who are providing care for those with Alzheimer's/Dementia.



Interview with Deborah Uetz

When did your passion for writing begin?

In first grade. I wrote a story about going to the moon in a rocket ship. I drew the pictures to go along with the story. The teacher just loved it and I loved the attention.

Can you tell us what your typical “writing” day is like?

I find that there are days when my fingers can’t move fast enough to keep up with my thoughts and other days the well is dry. I don’t have a typical day.

Do you write full time?

My days are filled with writing and monitoring a suicide support room for those who have lost someone to suicide.

Can you tell us a little about INTO THE MIST, WHEN SOMEONE YOU LOVE HAS ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE?

My book began as my journal. When my father began to behave in a way that was totally out of character , I started to journal. I searched for any information I could find that would help my family understand what was happening to him and help us cope with the mounting stress. When I couldn’t find the book I needed , I decided to write it ! The book tells the story (from diagnosis until end stage) of my father, Rose’s father Frank, and Laurie’s mother Shirley. Rose’s father was cared for at home (in Queensland Australia) and Laurie’s mother is early onset. Each story is dripping with the sad, and raw realities that families are faced with when Alzheimer's takes over, yet each story has a unique perspective.

Along with our stories are chapters by Dr. Anne Lindsay PhD., a noted Psychologist. She addresses the issues associated with care giver stress. Another chapter in the book is submitted by Dr. Andre Delacourte, the head of the French Institute of Medicine. He has spent his career searching for a cure to Alzheimer's Disease. His chapter suggests that their is hope for a cure. Also included in the book is the perspective of this disease from two research scientists, and a chapter from an Aging expert and Geriatric Care Planner, who helps the reader understand Medicare/Medicaid and other relevant information concerning long-term care.

The book will give you a very special look inside the role of Alzheimer’s care giver, a therapeutic point of view and a professional examination. Something for everyone.

Who published your book and how has your experience with them been?

I self published INTO THE MIST through Xlibris. It has been a positive experience. My manuscript caught the eye of two top literary agents but after spending six months waiting for a decision I decided to go forward on my own.

Can you tell us the inspiration behind INTO THE MIST?

My wonderful Dad , Rose’s dad and Shirley’s mother inspired me to write the book. All three had been precious intelligent, productive members of society and Alzheimer’s disease robbed them of their lives. They battled the disease bravely and fought hard. I wrote the book that we had been looking for when we were in the trenches , struggling to care for our loved ones.

Can you tell us ways you are promoting your book? Have they been successful?

The first step I took in promoting my book was to appear as a frequent radio guest. The phone lines remained lit, the entire time the program was running. Families are so desperate for information. In the fall I will be sending out press releases and attending book signings. With 4.5 million Americans afflicted with Alzheimer’s disease there is a lot of interest in the topic. I will continue to post on forums, and provide support to those families who struggle with daily care. My efforts have most certainly been successful.

Who are your favorite authors and why do they inspire you?

I have a very eclectic taste in books. I’m currently reading “Blink”. By Malcolm Gladwell. Alice Walker , the author of "The Color Purple" is also one of my favorites. I like books that make me think.

Do you have a mentor?

My brother Keith was my mentor. He was an incredible artist, blues guitarist and he wasn’t afraid to color outside of the lines.

Keith put his entire life on hold to make sure Dad was safe and fed and loved. He did this setting aside a lifelong strained relationship with his dad. They were strangers and father and son.
My book is dedicated to him.

What future projects do you have in the works?

I have two novels completed but not yet published.

What do you feel are the pros and cons of the publishing industry today?

The pros are a publishing house can get your word out there for the masses but the downside is it may take years to see it through to fruition. If your topic is timely self publishing allows you to put your book out there , if you are willing to put in the time and money.

Can you give aspiring authors words of advice towards getting published?

If you have a story inside of you don’t let anyone stop you from telling your story.

What’s one thing about your life that you think is important, but nobody asks?

Is it okay to have a sense of humor about something as serious as Alzheimer’s disease ! Not only is it okay…it is absolutely essential! Some parts of my book will make you cry and some will make you smile…just like real life.

Can you tell us where we can go to buy INTO THE MIST?

Borders Books, Amazon, Xlibris.

Thank you very much for your time!

# # #

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:44 PM

    Today would have been Keith's 70th birthday. He died at 49 by his own hand. I am having health problems and I am pretty sure it is Parkinson's. I will never understand my life..

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.