Author Interview: Amir Makin, author of A WORTHY MUSLIM


Amir Makin found Al Islam on an unexpected yet fruitful journey to Africa. Having always been intrigued with issues of the oppressed masses, he quickly learned how this way of life directed all to defend and protect the indigent from tyranny while preserving the dignity of the dispossessed. Since that time, he has instilled in himself and advanced the type of analysis that leads to positive change throughout society. You can visit his website at www.unworthymuslim.com.

Welcome to The Writer's Life, Amir. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how long you’ve been writing?

First allow me to thank you for having me as your guest. I initially accepted Al Islam on an unexpected yet fruitful journey to Africa. I was very impressed by the ability exhibited by the indigent and oppressed in preserving their dignity while resisting their current state of oppression. After studying these and other peoples of oppressed backgrounds, the application of the Qur’an made me realize that the way of life called Islam directed all to defend and protect the indigent from tyranny while equally preserving the dignity of the dispossessed. Since that time, I’ve instilled in myself and advanced the type of analysis that leads to positive change throughout society. I have since immersed myself in the area of study that points towards developing solutions for communities most disaffected.

Can you please tell us about your book and why you wrote it?

Sure the book explains how oppressed communities can handle and overcome oppression by seriously examining the practice of true Islam. I analyze the difference between what is incorrectly perceived as Islam and the way of life called Al Islam while also detailing how different prophets implemented Quranic teachings when standing against injustice. I then take this Information and distinctly convey to the reader through comparison of real world situations of oppression that occur in today's climate with an amazingly refreshing emphasis on the disadvantaged and impoverished of American society from not only a socioeconomic standpoint, but a psychological and spiritual vantage as well.

What kind of research was involved in writing “A Worthy Muslim: Quranic Tools Needed to Overcome Oppression and Imperialism in Order to Institute Justice”?

When trying to convey facts on Sunni Muslims I always have to consult the Qur’an and the sayings of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) which are called authentic hadeeth. Then I had to understand what historical event was happening when the specific verse of the Qur’an I cite were revealed so that its true message becomes clear to the reader. I also studied the history of racism in America, and the effects of colonialism in Africa.

How much input did you have into the design of your book cover?

I designed my own book cover. I knew I wanted to convey a visual connection with the sands of the desert whether they were in the Middle East or Iraq or Africa. I also wanted to convey the symbolism that the tools I detail in the book can increase the value of one’s humanity beyond imagination, hence the title that glows while busting out of the book. This sends a message that human development can reach such an optimal level that it shines like a beacon of light in the dark.

Has it been a bumpy ride to becoming a published author or has it been pretty well smooth sailing?

I went through several rejections before I found AIC Publications, LLC. Other publishers told me no one wanted to read about subjects such as facts on Sunni Muslims, internalized oppression and racism. They wanted me to focus on Middle East or Iraq or Africa, and terrorism situations. I would usually respond by stating these issues are addressed in the book and will continue to be in different places. Then they would usually state that they wanted complete control and would not help with marketing in addition to this! As a result it took 2 years for me to finish this book.

Do you have an agent and, if so, would you mind sharing who he/is is? If not, have you ever had an agent or do you even feel it’s necessary to have one?

I do not have an agent. I like to make myself pretty accessible to those who may have questions on the subject matter of racism, oppression or poverty and how understanding facts on Sunni Muslims address these and other issues. This is one of the reasons I started my blog which is http://aworthymuslimovercomes.blogspot.com

Do you plan subsequent books?

I plan to release 3 more titles in 2009 to address family issues, manhood training and development of leadership for one’s community and reducing the recidivism rate of former convicts.

Are you a morning writer or a night writer?

I pretty much do my best writing at night, partly because that’s when everyone typically winds down. I’ve already taken care of everyone else’s interests for the day and the night is the time I use to take care of mine. Also, the feeling of getting it finished so I can go to bed before midnight helps place me in an extra state of urgency. I seem to get my best thoughts onto paper at these moments.

If money was no object, what would be the first thing you would invest in to promote your book?

The first thing would be banner advertisements online. If you can get to a site where your audience regularly visits and post your book banner there for an indefinite amount of impressions, you’re exposing your book to literally millions on a daily basis.

How important do you think self-promotion is and in what ways have you been promoting your book offline and online?

Self promotion is the most important form of promotion, because if you believe in what you’ve produced then you automatically are the best one to convey its importance to others. I do all of my promotion online, so the first thing I did was to use mass email distribution lists, yahoo groups and Google Ad Words. Key word searched based ads were helpful too in generating interest. I’ve also conducted seminars about disseminating facts on Sunni Muslims with regards to overcoming racism and internalized oppression. By far the best form of promotion is when someone becomes so motivated by the book, that their word of mouth advertisements yield immense results.

Thank you for coming, Amir Makin! Would you like to tell my readers where they can find you on the web and how everyone can buy your book?

Certainly, the book can be purchased on Amazon.com, and from my publisher at http://aicpublications.com/featuredbook.html Also because this is Ramadan (the month of fasting), I’m offering an opportunity for a book giveaway which will conclude at the end of Ramadan (projected date is October 2, 2008). This will require reader participation of which complete details can be found on my blog. Thanks again.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.