Interview with Horror Author Joel M. Andre

Joel M. Andre was born January 13, 1981 in Cottonwood, AZ. He began writing back in 1994 on a personal level, discovering the passion and feeling the words brought him. Although more of a hobby at the time, he collected his works and in 1999 released the poem The Midnight Express. It received positive feedback, and was quickly followed by For the Salem Witch. To date Joel has released over 60 poems, and 3 books.

Pray the Rain Never Ends was the first book, which includes the poem he wrote for his nephew Christopher Andre. A gripping work that shows a different side to the creator of work that usually holds a darker flair.

The follow up book A Death at the North Pole brought a new side of Joel out. This was a dark journey through a winter wonderland, and provided a more in depth look at Joel and his long form writing.

Most recently Joel released the book Kill 4 Me, a technological ghost story, of a woman haunted by a vengeful spirit through the use of a cell phone and computer.

With a passion for writing, you can tell Joel loves what he does. Although some would say his imagination runs more left field, there is no denying his original thoughts and ideas will provide enjoyment for years to come.

You can visit his website at www.joelmandre.com.

Welcome to The Writer's Life, Joel. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how long you’ve been writing?

Hello, and thank you for having me. I have been writing working with poetry since 1999 and horror since 2002. I was born in a small tall called Cottonwood, AZ and was raised there. I moved to Phoenix in 2004.


Can you please tell us about your book and why you wrote it?

My book ‘Kill 4 Me’ was written over the course of a couple of months Summer 2008. I was working one night, when I received a text message and it sent my mind through a series of ideas. The final product turned out to be about a woman who is stalked by a demonic spirit through text messages and other forms of digital communication as the result of a near fatal car accident several months before the haunting.


What kind of research was involved in writing “Kill 4 Me”?

I studied different areas to find the perfect setting for the location. In addition, I went through old house plans, and verified the deaths the happened in the book could potentially happen the way they were described. There is a reason for the car in the opening scene that I chose. But I don’t like to give too much away. I spent half my time researching.


How much input did you have into the design of your book cover?

I had 100% input on the cover design. I actually hired my brother John Andre who does photography to design it for me. He does good work.


Has it been a bumpy ride to becoming a published author or has it been pretty well smooth sailing?

It has been smooth sailing. I am not a traditional horror writer, and had to prove there was a market for me. I have caught the attention of several main stream publishers, and who knows where the journey will twist next.


For this particular book, how long did it take from the time you signed the contract to its release?

Not very long at all. This was my third book with this particular publisher.


Do you have an agent and, if so, would you mind sharing who he/is is? If not, have you ever had an agent or do you even feel it’s necessary to have one?

I think in an effort to continue in writing you need an agent. I am in discussion with a couple, and still waiting to hear back from one, who if they said they would represent me, it would happen on the spot.


Do you plan subsequent books?

I have a few books written and in the pipeline. Next up is ‘The Price of Blood’ a sequel to A Death at the North Pole.


Are you a morning writer or a night writer?

I write at night, and at times by candlelight.


If money was no object, what would be the first thing you would invest in to promote your book?

I would invest in literacy programs. It’s more important to me that people read than what they actually read.

How important do you think self-promotion is and in what ways have you been promoting your book offline and online?

You are your own best marketing tool. Self-promotion is imperative in the success of a new author. I have been doing a bookstore tour, among other appearances in person. Online I have been talking on message boards, sending out press releases, and just making my presence known. I am happy with where I am going.

Any final words of wisdom for those of us who would like to be published?


Thank you for coming, Joel! Would you like to tell my readers where they can find you on the web and how everyone can buy your book? Thank you for having me. You can find more out about me and my books at www.joelmandre.com and my books are available online at most online book retailers.

1 comment:

  1. Very novel idea - a vengeful spirit using a cell phone and computer as conduits. What a great imagination!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
    http://makeminemystery.blogspot.com
    http://acmeauthorslink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.