10 Things People Don't Know about Internet Dating Expert Cherie Burbach

Cherie Burbach is back with us today! Cherie is the author of the Internet dating book, Internet Dating is Not Like Ordering a Pizza, but wouldn't you like to know something about her that no one else knows? How about TEN things you never knew about Internet dating expert Cherie Burbach? And, on top of that, how about if she answers your Internet dating questions all day long? Is that like the best thing you've ever heard of? Oh come on now, don't be shy! Now's your time to find out all there is about Internet dating (pssst...come closer...Cherie met her husband online and she's perfectly normal!)!

And now, it is my pleasure to bring you Cherie Burbach!

10 Things You Don't Know About Internet Dating Expert Cherie Burbach

1. I met my husband online.

I didn't sign up for Internet dating for the purpose of getting married, but it happily turned out that way. I decided to do Internet dating because I just wanted to get some control over my dating life. As soon as I logged, I saw that it was a great way to meet someone special.

2. I went on over 60 coffee dates in just six months.

I didn't just meet my husband, but I met 60 other guys as well. Each of these was what I would call a "coffee date," which means I met them for an hour out in a public place. Usually these dates were at a coffee shop, which in my opinion is the very best way to meet someone. I would meet my match for an hour, talk with him and get to know him a bit, and then decide from there if an actual first date was a good idea. In many cases, it was. For some others? Not so much!

3. When I was eight, my mother and I walked in on a robber ransacking our house.

We came home from a night at my grandparents house to find a robber going through all of our drawers and things. The house was a mess, and he had already stolen things like our stereo and TV. He even had my piggy bank in his hand! He ran out as soon as he saw us and they never caught him.

4. I feel protective of Internet daters.

It's true, one of my pet peeves is the way Internet daters get treated sometimes. Sometimes married people can become very smug about Internet dating, as if it's something that "losers" have to do. They look down their nose at the whole process.

Little do they know that Internet daters are simply folks who haven't (for whatever reason) met the right person yet. Many of them didn't want to just get married to someone because they were a certain age, but held out to meet the right person for them. In my opinion, Internet dating can introduce you to someone much more compatible than you'd find with set ups from friends or even out and about on your own.

5. I married my husband a year to the day we met.

If you'd have told me that I would have married someone within a year of meeting them, I would have told you that you were nuts! haha. But it's true. When you know it's right, things tend to move quickly.

6. I've written three books of poetry.

In addition to writing about dating and relationships, I also have written three poetry books. My latest book, Father's Eyes, is the recipient of the Editor's Choice for Poetry from All Reviews Books.

7. I am huge football fan.

I have always been a fan of football, even when I was a little girl. Perhaps that's because I live in a state with lots of fans (Wisconsin), but I think it's something about the combination of strategy and toughness of the game that really intrigue me. I'm lucky that I get to write about sports rumors for EveryJoe (http://www.everyjoe.com/articles/author/brrbach/) now, as well!

Every year for the last 15, I have put up a "Packer tree" with green and gold lights and ornaments that reflect my favorite NFL team. I put it up at the start of football season each year. Luckily my husband likes this tradition, and he's helped me add to our Packer ornament collection over the years.

8. I love crocheting.

My grandma taught me to crochet when I was just eight years old. It's something I still enjoy. Now, I should say that having a "geeky" hobby like crocheting was something I did mention (but not dwell on) when it came to writing my online profile. I think it's important to show your personality in your online profile, and your hobbies are a part of that.

9. I had one of my worst Valentine's Days ever while I was Internet dating.

Here's a secret: I have always hated Valentine's Day. I don't know why. I don't begrudge people that celebrate the day, I just don't get into it. Never did. When I was Internet dating, I made the mistake of setting up a first date on Valentine's Day! I had completely spaced when I made the date, and when the guy showed up with flowers I just thought he was being nice. Then he said, "Well it's Valentine's Day - I had to get you something."

The date started out okay, but as soon as we got to the restaurant, he pulled out a pile of coupons to use. Then proceeded to talk about how expensive everything was. Then complained about what I ordered. Then asked the waitress seventeen times if he could pay her tip with coupons. (She just shrugged.)

I couldn't wait for that date to be over! Luckily, it was only a month later that I met my husband.

10. I believe anyone can succeed with Internet dating.

Yes, Internet daters, I'm talking to you! I think with the right profile and the right approach, anyone can find someone special with Internet dating. It doesn't matter what you look like or what you weigh, or any of the superficial things that people can get caught up on. The Internet will help you find the exact right person for you. You just have to know how to go about it to be successful.

Cherie Burbach used her experience with meeting her husband online to pen At the Coffee Shop, a humorous look at the world of Internet dating. Cherie went on over 60 coffee dates in just six months. She met lots of great people and one of those turned out to be the guy she would marry just one year later. She is the Dating Feature Writer for Suite101, an online magazine with over 10 million views monthly, and also the author of three poetry books, including A New Dish and The Difference Now. Her latest, Father's Eyes, has received the 2008 Editor's Choice Award by Allbooks Review. Cherie blogs at Jennifer Lopez, Jessica and Ashlee Simpson, Career and Kids, Celebrity Apprentice, Gossip on Sports, and Diabetes Notes. For poets looking for a review of their book, check out Cherie's new site Bonjour Poetry Reviews. Readers have resonated with Cherie's honest and inspirational "This I Believe" essay, which is the second-most popular out of over 32,000 entries on the NPR website. For more information, please visit Cherie's website at www.thedifferencenow.com or www.datingdatingall-things-dating.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to The Writer's Life, Cherie! You might want to pull a question off of yesterday's post and answer it here so everyone can see it. We look forward to having you as our guest today and if anyone would like to ask Cherie anything about Internet dating from her own experience, leave your comments below and Cherie will pop in throughout the day and answer them! Is Internet dating more popular than ever? We'll let Cherie tell us what her experiences are! What's your opinion? Leave all questions and comments below!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting to know authors better. I have a friend from Wisconsin who is also a huge Packers fan. Me, I like hockey. Go Bruins!!!

    Cherie, you mentioned that there is a stigma attached to those who choose Internet dating. Why do you think that is?

    Thanks.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.