Interview with John Knoerle, Author of Mystery/Thriller Novel A Pure Double Cross

John Knoerle’s first novel, Crystal Meth Cowboys, was optioned by Fox for a TV series. His second novel, The Violin Player, won the Mayhaven Award for Fiction. His new novel, A Pure Double Cross, is Book One of the American Spy Trilogy. John lives with his wife in Chicago. You can learn more about John at www.bluesteelpress.com.


Welcome to The Writer's Life, John. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how long you’ve been writing?


I’ve been writing novels for over twenty years. I wrote screenplays before that, and comedy routines before that when I did stand-up and radio comedy way back in the 70s.


Can you please tell us about your book and why you wrote it?


A Pure Double Cross is book one of a trilogy that follows a young man, Hal Schroeder, who was an OSS spy during WWII and returned home bitter and cynical from the horrors of war.


In book one he is recruited by the FBI to infiltrate the Cleveland mob. But Hal has other ideas.


What kind of research was involved in writing A Pure Double Cross?


The book is set in 1945 Cleveland. I was lucky to have relatives who lived there in that era. I also traveled to Cleveland, my home town, and did extensive research at the Cleveland State Library.


Has it been a bumpy ride to becoming a published author or has it been pretty well smooth sailing?


A very bumpy road. Isn’t it always?


Do you have an agent and, if so, would you mind sharing who he/is is? If not, have you ever had an agent or do you even feel it’s necessary to have one?


I have an agent. I’m lucky in that he is an old friend. I don’t know that having an agent is absolutely necessary but it sure is handy in getting to mainstream publishers.


Do you plan subsequent books?


A Pure Double Cross is book one of a trilogy. Book two, “A Despicable Profession,” will be published in about a year.


Are you a morning writer or a night writer?


I’m too old to write at night!


How important do you think self-promotion is and in what ways have you been promoting your book offline and online?


My publisher is currently running radio spots in Cleveland, the setting of the novel. My background in radio production came in very handy!


Any final words of wisdom for those of us who would like to be published?

Consider self-publishing. Print on Demand has made it relatively inexpensive.


Thank you for coming, John! Would you like to tell my readers where they can find you on the web and how everyone can buy your book?


Yes I would! www.bluesteelpress.com A Pure Double Cross is available at bookstores and Amazon.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tips. I am considering self-publishing.

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.