GUEST BLOGGER: Ten Things You Didn't Know About J.W. Nicklaus, author of The Light, The Dark & Ember Between

J.W. Nicklaus resides in a place not entirely fit for human habitation about five months of the year. No pets to speak of, only the apparitions from which all romantics suffer.

An Arizona native, he’s been from one coast to the other, and a few places in between. College brought an AA in Journalism with a minor in Photography, and a Bachelor of Science in Telecommunications. His work experience has run the gamut from Creative Director for a small advertising firm in Tucson to a litigation support bureau in Phoenix (and assuredly some awkward stuff in the mix).

Snow has been featured prominently in his stories, perhaps because of the seasonless cli-mate he lives in. Nature was meant to be enjoyed and experienced, not hidden from the senses. So to that end, he hopes someday to live amongst those who are able to live through four true seasons, and not just blast furnace and warm.

He enjoys the occasional Arizona Diamondbacks game with his son, as well as watching him grow up. The experience of being a single dad has taught him far more about himself than he ever thought possible.

Within the expanse of every waking moment, he hopes his guardian angel keeps its arms open wide and heart ever watchful, for there but for one true Hope goes She.

For more about J.W. visit www.avomnia.com.


Ten Things You Didn't Know About J.W. Nicklaus
by J.W. Nicklaus, author of The Light, The Dark & Ember Between

We are a culture of lists, so I supposed that makes us 'culturalists'. Okay, that was pretty bad, but it has more than a grain of truth to it. We love to put things in heirarchical order, from best to worst, favorite to forgettable. I was asked to create a list of ten things, but I'm going to buck the trend (and my own ingrained sense of list protocol) and list them in no particular order, although they will be numbered because the rules say I need to.

1) I once rode my bicycle over my brothers head when we were kids.
Hang on! Before the hate mail begins you should know that he had a football helmet on. I don't recall how much convincing it took, but I'm sure I had to do quite the sales job to make it happen. It wasn't without karma, however.

2) I took a large, green, leaf-shaped ashtray to the noggin.
As family legend has it, I was sitting calmly doing whatever and my little brother, apparently very non-chalantly, toddled over and hefted this large glass ashtray (dad smoked a pipe once in a while back then) as high as he could and unceremoniously brought it down upon my skull. Mom says I screamed bloody murder, but apparently my brother was non-plussed, having taken care to place the ashtray back where it had originally sat. Clever little bastard, wasn't he.

For the record, we get along fine now, and have for quite some time.

3) I played Little League Baseball.
Two "seasons," as I recall, but dad would have to refresh my memory. I played left field, ostensibly because I could do much less damage during play out there. I had a golfers swing, too. Interestingly, I've never taken up golf, but my batting swing has improved with age.

4) I learned to type on an actual typewriter.
Gasp! How crudely nostaglic, huh? I know, beyond all doubt, that I'm not the only one. My parents had an old Olympia typewiter, I believe, and I still remember having to muscle the keystrokes, not to mention white-out, those little correcting strips, and carbon paper. I still have a fondness for the noise of those key tines hitting the platen and the ding as you reached the right margin.

5) I received 3 credit hours for taking a course on officiating volleyball in college.
I had played volleyball for a good number of years by that point, and needed something to flesh out my schedule, so it seemed a natural fit. I'm not so sure I could get away with this little gem today, though.

6) I did a stint as Creative Director for an advertising agency.
Wasn't a big agency, but I got to write print and radio ad copy. Come to think of it, that's the only job I've ever had where I had my own office. I'm not quite sure what that says about my work history, but I'm reticent to analyze it anymore, lest I come to some disturbing realization.

7) Everyone should, at least once, write a letter to their Op/Ed editor. I did!
Here's the deal . . .it was ages ago, seriously. At least twenty years ago. There was some piece in the Tucson newspaper about the controversy stewing between diaper camps (yes, I used the word stewing intentionally): Cloth versus Disposables. For some bizarre reason I can't possibly remember now, I wrote a letter to the editor about it, and it wound up being published in the Op/Ed section.

No, I can't remember what I wrote. Sorry! As a side tidbit, it was written on an electric typewriter. Note the technological progression ;^)

8) I once worked answering phones for the Jerry Lewis MDA telethon, and did some work with Casa De Los Ninos.
Both were done in Tucson. I remember being excited about doing the telethon because one of the local anchors would be there, and she was cute (I was in my teens, by the way). Nina Trasoff was here name. I believe she's now part of the Tucson City Council.

Casa De Los Ninos was a home set up for children who were temporarily removed from potentially harmful situations in their homes or families. I genuinely don't remember any specifics, but I do remember the children. One in particular, named Brian, absolutely clung to me on one visit I made. Almost from the moment I stepped in the door until he had to go to bed. That child's need has, to this day, rested gently in my heart.

9) I am awed by the Declaration of Independence and our Constitution.
The simple words of a 21st century man can't begin to do the slightest justice to either document. The forefathers of this country didn't come together by sheer happenstance. There was a clear plan, actions guided by the hand of Providence. Those men dared to throw off the shackles of tyranny and begin anew, their every ideal predicated upon the natural rights of man. The Declaration alone was a daunting act of treason, yet they forged ahead with what they knew was right.

How could anyone not be awed by that?

10) I am a devout hopeless romantic.
Those seeking proof won't find it in a simple answer here. Read through The Light, The Dark, and Ember Between. It can explain far better than I could here.



banner1

The Light, The Dark & Ember Between by J.W. Nicklaus can be purchased by clicking here. Leave a comment for J.W. and you could win a free virtual book tour for yourself or a $50 Amazon gift certificate!

banner1

8 comments:

  1. Welcome back to The Writer's Life, Jeff! I had someone ride over me with a bike, too, stomach though, not head...that was hilarious...did you kill your brother? Did he forgive you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was young enough that I doubt he remembers it. I don't bring it up, but once in a whle mom dredges it up for fun. She especially likes the ash tray event.

    Over the years we fought like all siblings do, but that's long in the past, and we have more in common now than we ever did as kids.

    This one was a lot of fun, Dorothy. I'm really glad it was part of the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DOH! I apologize for the typo of "nostalgic". *sigh* Hate when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:18 PM

    I JUST was able to get here to read "Ten Things..." I, too, learned to type on a real typewriter ... nothing like what we type on these days! I would like to point out, that I am still WAY younger than you!

    I am looking forward to getting my copy of your book soon!

    P.S. It was worth the wait to read...

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Younger is a state-of-mind :^)

    And thank you for the "worth the wait" comment. I genuinely appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned to type on a manual typewriter the first year in high school, then an electric the second year.

    Morgan Mandel
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Morgan :^)

    I've been to your site on several occasions, and can only say that I am genuinely proud to have you comment here!

    As for the typewriters, I think the manual typewriter was an Olympia (or King), and the electric was a Sears. Used to sit on a flimsy wheeled rolling table, and everytime the platen would return the table would shake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:40 PM

    It's good getting to know you through the more perilous, chaotic side of your life. Or should I say, that part of your past. Though, I still sometimes wish I could settle skirmishes by riding my Schwinn over someone's head.

    What an interesting man you are. I'm familiar with your work through you blog, but I can't say that I know you. Even so, I bet you have a daughter. You seem like the kind of guy who would have a Daddy's girl.

    I think you're a phenomenal writer. In me, you have a devoted fan, but not in that pesky "Misery" sort of way.

    Continued success. I hope life perpetually hands you emotional Green Stamps.

    Best,
    Laurie Kendrick
    Houston

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.