Interview with Carolyn Wada, Author of For Cory's Sake

Carolyn Wada is the oldest of seven children raised by two wonderful, supportive parents. She has a deep interest in children's issues. In particular, she is interested in supporting organizations that help child survivors of abuse. Royalties from For Cory's Sake will be donated to organizations that provide services to abused, neglected or exploited children.

More information on Carolyn's book can be found at www.outskirtspress.com/ForCorysSake.

Welcome to The Writer's Life, Carolyn. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how long you’ve been writing?

I am the oldest of seven children raised happily and well in Hawaii. One of my favorite childhood activities was to make up stories and/or characters, and I never did grow out of this tendency. For Cory's Sake was my first long and intensive writing project. I worked on it for about six years, throughout most of my late twenties.

Can you please tell us about your book and why you wrote it?

For Cory's Sake is a fantasy about a group of people who are trying to save an enslaved world. The focus is on one family in this group. The father of the family is a rebel who publishes protests against the current regime and is punished for this activity. His compassion and courage eventually attract a valuable ally. The family and their friend struggle onward: making choices, taking risks and accepting difficult consequences. In the end, they learn how to gain freedom by conquering fear—all for Cory's sake.

There is some symbolism in For Cory's Sake. When I was revising it, I was also worrying about a “real world” problem. My real world thoughts worked themselves (subtly, deliberately subtly) into my work of fiction. Then, I decided to publish For Cory's Sake as a chance to do something about my real world concern. All my royalties are donated to organizations that provide services to abused, neglected or exploited children. (See my website below for more information about this aspect)

What were some of the biggest challenges you faced writing it?

I've been working a stressful, full-time retail job for as long as I've been working on For Cory's Sake, and for years this was like having two full-time jobs.

Do you have a press kit and what do you include in it? Does this press kit appear online and, if so, can you provide a link to where we can see it?

A sales sheet, current press release, cover image and author photo are available at http://www.pre-invasionconspiracy.info/uploads/Press_Material.pdf

Have you either spoken to groups of people about your book or appeared on radio or TV? What are your upcoming plans for doing so?
I have had no speaking engagements about my book and currently have none planned.

Do you have an agent and, if so, would you mind sharing who he/is is? If not, have you ever had an agent or do you even feel it’s necessary to have one?

I do not have an agent. I would like to have an agent. The agent would need to be sympathetic to the “cause” aspect of my book project, however, because that was the deciding factor in Cory being published in the first place.

Did you, your agent or publisher prepare a media blitz before the book came out and would you like to tell us about it?

This book tour is my big promotional campaign.

Do you plan subsequent books?

I have two stories ready to be written out. The first is the love story of William and Melissa Bentler, the parents of the main family in For Cory's Sake. The second is a sequel to For Cory's Sake, from the perspective of the adopted Coryan son of one of the Bentlers.

Thank you for your interview, Carolyn. Would you like to tell my readers where they can find you on the web and how everyone can buy your book?

My book can be purchased on amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com. It is available to bookstores through Ingram and to libraries through Baker & Taylor.

For Cory's Sake Official Webpage: http://www.outskirtspress.com/ForCorysSake
“Cause” website: http://www.pre-invasionconspiracy.info
I blog at: http://www.forcoryssake.blogspot.com
I tweet at: http://www.twitter.com/ForCorysSake

No comments

Powered by Blogger.