Interview with Non-fiction Author Greg E. Middleton



Greg Middleton’s work is highly respected in his local area of Altadena, CA. He is a member of the Sheriffs Clergy Council an organized group dedicated to developing relationships between the clergy, community, police departments and at risk youths. This group helps Middleton see first hand the needs of not only at risk youths, but dysfunctional families. The mentoring availed through this outreach provide great opportunities to bring healing to families. He sees the need to multiply this effort throughout the nation. Middleton is also an Advanced Toastmaster Speaker and Certified Seminar Leader.

Middleton knows first hand the effects of dysfunctional living. He had a prestigious career in the music industry that spanned several decades composing music, playing as a band member and coordinator for some of the greatest entertainers in the industry. He worked with legends such as The Temptations, Rick James, Tina Marie, Johnny Nash and Marlene Shaw. This glamorous life had devastating effects on his family life and overall morality. Watching the decadence and abuses of those in the industry also fortified his need to keep others from harms way.

Middleton left the industry having accomplished his personal goals and dreams, but realizing the total emptiness of it all. This drove him to a decade of internal reflection and spiritual pursuit. In the end he found his inner being, which lead him to something genuine. Finding his spiritual core was the key to finding his authentic self and exposing him to what God really created him to be. That life journey is reflected in Real Men. Dealing with the issues men are facing is his passion. God has shown him how to combine all his life’s experience and wisdom to help countless others. Through his ability to entertain, be a faithful husband, his wisdom as a father and grandfather, overcoming prostate cancer and his faith have well equipped him to mentor young men into becoming Real Men.


Welcome to The Writer's Life, Greg. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how long you’ve been writing?

Answer: I currently live in Southern California with my wife Cynthia of over 25 years. I have been an entrepreneur for most of my adult life. For many years I was a professional musician working for many recording legends of our times such as the Temptations, Nina Simone, Jackie Wilson, Eddie Harris, Rick James, Tina Marie, Marlena Shaw, Stanley Turntine and many more.

I have been writing for just over 10 years now starting back in the fall of 1999. It all started because I wanted to find out more about my inner being. I wanted to know what my essence was. In Search of the Soul was my first book. Since then I have completed several dozen manuscripts and published six books through a variety of methods. Writing consumes my life. It is my passion. I love it more than anything with the exception of perhaps reading a great spiritual book that challenges me to think.

Can you please tell us about your book and why you wrote it?

Answer: My current book that is being promoted is called, Real Men, What’s Happening with our Males? I was inspired to write this book because I see something seriously missing in how most males are inadequately trained to fill the numerous shoes that they are expected to fill. No one really teaches us how to become great fathers, how to communicate properly with our female mates, how to become effective leaders of our families, how to be more reliable and dependable so others can always rely upon you, and how to accept commitment to just one mate. Since most of us are not officially taught such things we screw them up until finally life experiences set in and we finally get it. I think there should be a better way for males to learn our roles. That is why I wrote the book and started an all-male organization dedicated to helping men to become better men. This book, Real Men, goes along with our seminar concept, Real Men Seminars - www.realmenseminars.com
Our goal is to gather men and talk about our common issues and discover solutions from sharing our life experiences with each other.

What were some of the biggest challenges you faced writing it?

Answer: Because of my personal experiences in being a man and the things I personally experienced through many trials and error, I did not have a problem in writing the book. The problem I identify in the book is fairly obvious but not enough educated or talented people are addressing the problem to the degree that it is reaching the masses. We need high profile people to come forth and express the need for more training of young males so they properly learn what is expected of them in real life. Unfortunately the role models and images they latch on to are not representative of what most common people experience. Since they latch on to the people in the limelight while their life is not reflective of that, they end up in “nowhere land.” The biggest challenge is in convincing people that we have a serious problem and then having the resources and a big enough megaphone to get the message out to the public.

Do you have a press kit and what do you include in it? Does this press kit appear online and, if so, can you provide a link to where we can see it?


Answer: I have a professional press kit with Linda Leon that can be made available to you. Her contact information should be in your file. Linda Leon can be reached at info@mvpmedia1.com

Have you either spoken to groups of people about your book or appeared on radio or TV? What are your upcoming plans for doing so?

Answer: I have been doing live radio interviews through a PR firm that is booking my radio interviews. I speak regularly at men’s group meetings through our Real Men Seminar business. I have done several local TV Programs dealing with my books and my business of dealing with male issues. I am a public speaker and seminar leader. My main seminar events are in process of being booked starting in the spring of 2010 and forward. This schedule will be posted on our official website: www.realmenseminars.com I am booked to do several small events with men’s groups locally dealing specifically with male issues.

Do you have an agent and, if so, would you mind sharing who he/is is? If not, have you ever had an agent or do you even feel it’s necessary to have one?

Answer: I do not have an official agent at this time but I do feel that it is absolutely necessary to have an agent that knows the business. I haven’t had a literary agent up to this date.

Did you, your agent or publisher prepare a media blitz before the book came out and would you like to tell us about it?

Answer: Through self-publishing, subsidy publishing and print on demand there are a number of package that you may purchase. I have not opted to use these packages up to date.

Currently Linda Leon is working with me in dealing with PR issues coordinating my affairs. She has assigned several sub-agents to handle various aspects of promoting my books. I will need to invest more in this capacity. This is the part of the business that new writers suffer the most, how to promote yourself and your book.

Do you plan subsequent books?

Answer: Currently I have several dozen finished manuscripts that are yet to be published. I have several writing projects that are in progress. The simple to your question is, a big fat YES, multiple times.

Thank you for your interview, Greg. Would you like to tell my readers where they can find you on the web and how everyone can buy your book?

Answer: There are two primary ways to locate my works and me. My writer’s website is: www.gregemiddleton.com
I also have a business website that deals with the affairs of my men’s group and gatherings: www.realmenseminars.com I also have a blog section on my real men site.

My current books are at: www.lulu.com I have two books there that are available to order online. Real Men, What’s Happening with our Males? and The Seeker, A Layman’s Path to Spiritual Enlightenment. In addition I have two books with Lightning Source: Food for the Soul and Living Christianity. Their website is:
www.lightningsource.com My other books can be found through my writer’s website as mentioned: www.gregemiddleton.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.