Interview with Harry J. Saranchak, author of 'Betrayals of Hippocrates: Crimes Against Innocence

Dr. Harry J. Saranchak earned a B.A. degree cum laude from Georgetown and followed it with an M.D. from University of Connecticut School of Medicine. For 30 years he was a vascular and general surgeon in three Connecticut hospitals, and for 25 of those he was also educator and mentor to medical students, residents and colleagues—while receiving eight Golden Scalpel awards for teaching excellence. A Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, Dr. Saranchak co-authored seven medical journal articles from 1974 to 1984. After retiring from his private practice at Grove Hill Medical Center in New Britain, CT, he wrote Betrayals of Hippocrates: Crimes Against Innocence.

You can visit his website at http://www.harryjsaranchak.com.

Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life, Harry. Can you tell us how long you’ve been writing professionally and how your journey led to writing your latest book, Betrayals of Hippocrates: Crimes Against Innocence?

Harry: After over 35 years as a surgeon I have seen much suffering. When I retired, I knew I needed to write a fictional story about the search for a cure, the cause and effect of disease, and mans inhumanity to man.


Q: I love your title…can you tell us why you chose it?

Harry: Hippocrates is the father of medicine. Fathers are supposed to protect their children. When this oath is betrayed, the event becomes a medical thriller.


Q: Why did you believe your book should be published?

Harry: I like to teach, so I thought that the reader could walk away with a new perspective on the real healthcare issue , Who profits when you get sick? And why? How? Why not profit from your own life for as long as you can?


Q: Can you tell us the story behind your book cover? Did you choose it or did your publisher, Xlibris, have full control? Were you happy with the decision or did you have something else in mind?

Harry: Kristina Oliver is the artist who designed the cover. Many people do not see the figure within the lush forest and vegetation. I believe that each of us is an artist of some sort, so I let Kristina design the cover as the novel to her.


Q: How have you approached marketing your book? Do you have someone doing it for you or have you had to do most of the marketing yourself?

Harry: Marketing is a huge part of exposing this novel to potential readers. I tried to market it on my own, but then got help.


Q: What book on the market can it compare to? How is it different? What makes your book special?

Harry: I have not come across another medical thriller quite like Betrayals of Hippocrates: Crimes against Innocence. As humans we can become very venerable especially when our lives are at stake.

Who does decide who lives and who dies?


Q: Open to a random page in your book. Can you tell us what is happening?

Harry: I am on page 83-84. I am in a cave watching and being watched. ……generations are being lost to experimentation” I cried. I am in animated horror.


Q: Do you plan subsequent books?

Harry: Yes. I am working on a novel about a magician. Some of the action takes place in the Magic Castle in L.A. I dabbled in magic for many years and enjoyed helping several local charities by performing.


Q: Thank you for your interview, Harry. Would you like to tell my readers where they can find you on the web and how everyone can buy your book?

Harry: Barnes and Noble .com Xlibris.com Amazon.com or a Google search will bring up independent book sellers.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.