Interview with Holiday Fiction Author Kristy Haile: 'Santa Claus embodies good values teaching everyone about giving and believing'

Californian Kristy Haile earned an Associate’s degree in Dental Hygiene from Northeastern University in Boston and then worked as a hygienist in Massachusetts and California. She moved from her hometown of Turlock, CA to Los Angeles, where her two children became actors on TV (The Office, Criminal Minds, Desperate Housewives), movies (Chihuahua: The Movie) and in commercials. At age 4, son Ty came to believe he was Santa Claus. Haile kept a journal of the funny and unusual things her son said and did over the next two years, as well as of people’s reactions to his self-identification as the “new real Santa Claus.” That journal was the basis for her latest book, I Am Santa. You can visit the ‘I AM SANTA!’ website at www.iamsantabook.com to connect with Kristy.

Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life, Kristy. Can you tell us how long you’ve been writing and how your journey led to writing your latest book, I AM SANTA!?

Since I was a child I have always enjoyed reading and writing-however, nothing had ever inspired me enough to write a book until my son told me he is the new real Santa Claus. I could tell early on that Ty had a very active and creative imagination. My daughter Ellalyn has always adored her little brother Ty. She always insists upon reading him his bedtime stories, in fact she has always read a lot of books to Ty which he enjoys and I feel has truly helped expand his imagination.

Since Ty and my daughter Ellalyn act in Hollywood, being a set mom has given me the perfect opportunity and time to become a writer, turning my journal about Ty into a book.


Q: I love your title…can you tell us why you chose it?

Because it is truly the mission of the main character Nicholas. He truly wants everyone to know and understand that he is the new real Santa Claus. When people ask him why he has his Santa suit on in April he would simply reply, I AM SANTA!


Q: Why did you believe your book should be published?

Even though my book is a fictional book, it is based upon my life with my family and my son believing he is the new real Santa Claus. So I wanted to be able to share the story of my son becoming Santa Claus with everyone because of how much it has touched my life. Santa Claus is such an important icon that over the years has brought so much hope to people so I believe we all need to keep his spirit alive. Santa Claus embodies good values teaching everyone about giving and believing. All of which my son has captured in his imagination.


Q: We all know that publishers can’t do all of the publicity and that some lies on the author. What has your publisher done so far to publicize the book and what have you done?

I have done radio interviews, book signings, a newspaper interview, social networking as well as my virtual book tour just to name a few. My publisher found me a fabulous publicist which has made all of the above possible.


Q: What book on the market can it compare to? How is it different? What makes your book special?

I have not seen another book on the market which could even be compared to my book I AM SANTA!, which is one reason my book is so unique.


Q: Open to a random page in your book. Can you tell us what is happening?

Page 226, Santa and elf Isabella had just arrived in the toy testing room at the North Pole. At first Santa is a bit overwhelmed as to the amount of toys in the room, but before long finds himself running into the middle of the room and spinning around just to take in everything around him.

Q: Do you plan subsequent books?

Yes, my son Ty and I plan on writing a series of I AM SANTA! books. In fact we have already begun writing our next book together. Plus we are planning to do an IAM SANTA! children’s book as well.


Q: Thank you for your interview, Kristy. Do you have any final words?

My wish is for each person reading this to live life to the fullest each and everyday, appreciating every moment they have been given.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.