Interview with Rolf Hitzer, author of "Hoodoo Sea"

Rolf Hitzer was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada in 1959 and raised by his parents, Erna and Julius Hitzer.

Rolf attended Princess Margaret Elementary School, John Pritchard Junior High and Graduated from Kildonan East Regional Secondary School where he had majored in Culinary Arts.

Rolf is married to his wife Irma since 1997. Together they have a wonderful blended family with Rita and Clark Bodoano and Grand children, Alexandria, Patrick and Braeden. Jason and Leah Tutlies, and Grandson Easton. Mandel Hitzer, and the youngest Jessica Hitzer. Clearly the growth of his family is still a work in progress.

Rolf Hitzer has several passions besides writing, they include being at the log cabin on weekends. Spending time on the water with a fishing pole in hand. Wildlife viewing and especially Moose calling during the fall rut. Playing a range of Poker card games and a variety of board games.

Rolf is a Member of the Winnipeg Real Estate Board, The Manitoba Real Estate Association and the Canadian Real Estate Association. He is currently working on his second novel.

For more information on his book visit: http://www.hoodoosea.com/

Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life, Rolf. Can you tell us how long you’ve been writing professionally and how your journey led to writing your latest book, Hoodoo Sea?

A: I have been writing professionally for fifteen years. I had reached a juncture in my life when I had decided to write my first novel, Hoodoo Sea. Having no experience in this area I had decided to just sit down and start writing. There was no pressure as my original intent was to write the book as a keepsake for my children. Not sure what I was going to write about, I was watching the Discovery Channel one night and the documentary that happened to be on held my interest and then during a commercial break it spawned the idea for my first novel.

Q: I love your title…can you tell us why you chose it?

A: I was doing my research on the Bermuda Triangle for the novel. Of course I didn't have a title yet and when I came upon the name Hoodoo Sea as another name for the Bermuda Triangle, I was intrigued. A few days later I penciled Hoodoo Sea on my manuscript and it stuck. I really like the name too and am so proud of myself for stumbling across this slang term for the Bermuda Triangle.

Q: Why did you believe your book should be published?

A: I didn't think the book was worthy of publishing at all. If it wasn't for Irma Hitzer insisting I find an agent to represent myself and the novel, if not for her Hoodoo Sea would not be published today.

Q: Can you tell us the story behind your book cover? Did you choose it or did your publisher, Bluewater Press LLC have full control? Were you happy with the decision or did you have something else in mind?

A: To my surprise, several months after signing a publishing contract I had heard nothing from my agent or the publishing company. Then the email came out of the blue asking if I had any ideas or visions on how I had wanted the book cover to look. I was very happy about being able to submit what my thoughts were on the book cover as I did have a certain look that I had wanted. I'm pleased to say that the current cover is what I had suggested. The only let down, if any, was that I had expected the yellow eyes to look more fierce then the way it currently looks. Nonetheless, I am thankful that I had input on this aspect of publishing the novel.

Q: How have you approached marketing your book? Do you have someone doing it for you or have you had to do most of the marketing yourself?

A: I have been terrible with my approach to marketing Hoodoo Sea. In fact, really haven't done much or anything at all. I have put Hoodoo Sea's complete destiny with Ms. Tracee Gleichner at Pump Up Your Book. So, if the book doesn't sell I get to blame it on Tracee, lol, no pressure. Anyway, I really don't have the time or inclination to stand on a soap box and promote Hoodoo Sea and whatever will be, will be with the sales of the novel.

Q: What book on the market can it compare to? How is it different? What makes your book special?

A: I'm not aware of any book that would compare to Hoodoo Sea, as I haven't read any other novel that I have found where the plot is similar. Perhaps where my novel is different is how the crew vanishes in the Bermuda Triangle and what happens from there forward. What makes my novel special is that it was originally written as a keepsake for my children, I was very very lucky that somebody out there was willing top publish the book.

Q: Open to a random page in your book. Can you tell us what is happening?

A: I just opened up on page 129 in my novel. The main character, Scott Reed, is being held captive and has been taken to the final destination where it is identical to the dreams he had been having since they had arrived in the location that they are at. As a prisoner to a band of men that seem less sophisticated than present day, he is not sure what is about to happen to him.

Q: Do you plan subsequent books?

A: Yes, I have started another novel. Life has been hectic this past while and I hope to spend more time writing after the up and coming holiday season.

Q: Thank you for your interview, Rolf. Would you like to tell my readers where they can find you on the web and how everyone can buy your book?

A: I'm easy to find online, either at http://www.hoodoosea.com, or http://www.rolfhitzer.com. Or, you can simply go to http://www.amazon.com and type in my name or the name of the book. Thank you for requesting an interview, it is much appreciated and has been quite pleasurable.

1 comment:

Powered by Blogger.