The Writer's Life Interviews Daren Krupa author of Such a Nice Boy



About Daren Krupa
A native of New York State Krupa grew up in Phoenix and worked as a newspaper reporter and editor, waiter and telemarketer.  At least a dozen novels presented themselves throughout his life.  Such a Nice Boy is the second he wrote and the first to be published.  Krupa lives in the Sonoran desert.

Welcome to The Writer's Life, Daren.  Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and how long you’ve been writing?

A: I was a Phoenix newspaper reporter and editor 1967-77.  I spent the Eighties on beaches and the Nineties on the West Coast marketing medical device technology.  I finished my first novel in 1984.  I’m currently working on the next novel.  Writing has made me its willing prisoner for more than forty years.


Can you please tell us about your book and why you wrote it?

A: Such a Nice Boy is about a man who leads a gay life because he’s afraid of his feelings for women.  It’s a lifelong conversation I’ve been having with myself about sexuality.  I’ve wanted to write a contemporary gay-straight romance since my early Twenties, when I was dating women and made myself admit I liked looking at guys.

What kind of research was involved in writing Such a Nice Boy?

A: They say write what you know.  Still it took almost eleven years to say what I had to say.  Maybe admit what I had to say is better.  For the story’s setting I spent time in Denver, CO, and became familiar with its employment discrimination laws, geography and plant life.  And of course I plumbed my soul like most artists do, but that’s not called research.

Has it been a bumpy ride to becoming a published author or has it been pretty well smooth sailing?

A: It’s been no more or less difficult than it is achieving anything worthwhile.

For this particular book, how long did it take from the time you signed the contract to its release?

A: I self-published.

Do you have an agent and, if so, would you mind sharing who he/is is?  If not, have you ever had an agent or do you even feel it’s necessary to have one?

A: Funny you should ask that.  Having self-published I would like to tell you I’ll know soon.  But the book publishing industry is evolving rapidly.  I could end up never knowing.

Do you plan subsequent books?

A: I have two or three more in mind.  One is in the works.

Can you describe your most favorite place to write?

A: I wish I could document all the ideas for Such a Nice Boy that I came up with while staying in Motel 6s.  I wrote the pivotal chapter in a Bellingham, WA, M6 while visiting my nephew at school.  Also I made my home study a place of contemplation and inspiration.

If money was no object, what would be the first thing you would invest in to promote your book?

A: A two-month Pump Up Your Book tour and guest spots on Ellen and The View.

How important do you think self-promotion is and in what ways have you been promoting your book offline and online?

A: Self-promotion is not important to publishing success; it’s essential.  I’m old school using new technology.  I’ve e-mailed press releases to 2,000 media in US, UK, Canada and Australia and contracted to increase my online presence. 

What’s the most common reason you believe new writers give up their dream of becoming published and did you almost give up?

A: They either weren’t bitten or are immune and their passions lie elsewhere.  The only way to find out is to write.  Like anyone I’ve spent time disillusioned and disappointed.  I wondered many times if I should give up writing Such a Nice Boy.  I realized I couldn’t.  At worst I had to give it a few months.  Then I would end up literally fleeing back to it.  And it was always there waiting with open arms and my mouse and keyboard.

Any final words of wisdom for those of us who would like to be published?

A: Anyone can self-publish these days but it’s still difficult to write a good book.  It takes persistence, love of the written word and the help of good editors.  Also a burning in your gut, not to be confused with acid reflux.

Thank you for your interview, Daren.  I wish you much success!

A: Thank you so much for this opportunity.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.