Guest Interview: T.M. Wallace, author of UNDER A FAIRY MOON

T. M. Wallace lives in Ontario, Canada with her husband and four children. At eight years old, she won a short story contest and was published in a local newspaper. She wrote her first book at ten years old called “The Adventures of Pinkstar,” about a stuffed rabbit who magically comes to life. T. M. Wallace received her Master’s degree in English Literature from Carleton University and a degree in Education from the University of Ottawa. In 2010 her latest book, Under A Fairy Moon, was a quarter-finalist in the Amazon Breakthrough Novel awards. Under A Fairy Moon will be published by Brownridge Publishing in June, 2011.

You can visit her website at www.tmwallace.com.

Q: Welcome to The Writer's Life, Theresa. Can you tell us how long you’ve been writing and how your journey led to writing your latest book, Under A Fairy Moon?

I have been writing since I was about six years old. At eight years old I wrote my first book about a pink stuffed bunny who came to life. I even sent it into a publisher, who wrote me a very kind letter back encouraging me to keep writing. Well, I did keep writing! My latest novel, Under a Fairy Moon is a book inspired by my childhood love of forests and gardens. It is about a girl, Addy, who is compelled to explore her neighbor's beautiful garden … only to find it is an enchanted garden, from which she can only escape by winning a game of Fairy Chess against magical creatures.

Q: I love your title…can you tell us why you chose it?

I wrote another book as a child, called Under an Orange Moon. I always liked that title. It seemed fitting to borrow part of it for this book - since Addy reminds me of myself as a child, exploring imaginary fairylands in the countryside.

Q: Why did you believe your book should be published?

I wanted to remind people (and perhaps myself) that there is still beauty and goodness in the world. Especially in the hearts of young people.

Q: We all know that publishers can’t do all of the publicity and that some lies on the author. What has your publisher done so far to publicize the book and what have you done?

Brownridge Publishing has sent out library mailings to advertise the book, both to schools and public libraries. I have signed up for this book tour, and have started to do school visits which I am enjoying immensely.

Q: What book on the market can it compare to? How is it different? What makes your book special?

The book has been compared to C. S. Lewis's Narnia series to my great delight. The Narnia books were great favorites of mine when I was growing up. It is different, I think, because it draws on elements of traditional fairy tales and has a darker, more Alice-in-Wonderland kind of feel to it.

Q: Open to a random page in your book. Can you tell us what is happening?

Addy and Connor are being whisked away to the Fairy Queen's palace which is unlike anything they've ever seen before. The mischievous pixie, Enitua, is their very untrustworthy guide and they don't know what to expect. Is she leading them into a trap? Is the Fairy Queen someone they can trust, someone who can help them win the game of Fairy Chess and return home? Only time will tell ...

Q: Do you plan subsequent books?

Yes, I have two finished manuscripts already which are in the editing stages. Also, I have been toying with the idea of writing a prequel to Under A Fairy Moon, which would tell about the history of the enchanted garden and how Addy's eccentric neighbor, Mrs. Tavish, came to own it.

Q: Thank you for your interview, Theresa. Do you have any final words?

I hope you enjoy reading the book as much as I have enjoyed writing it!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.