Interview with Natsuya Uesugi, author of grydscaen


ABOUT GRYDSCAEN

Title: grydscaen
Genre: Science Fiction/Fantasy
Author: Natsuya Uesugi
Publisher: Xlibris
EBook: 288 pages
Release Date: July 21, 2011

 Follow the lives of the main characters as they come together in the backstory to grydscaen:retribution, the first volume of the grydscaen saga. Faid is tired of life on the run in the Echelons, trying to keep his psychic power in check, he founds the Packrats establishing a safe haven for psychics. As a hacker he uses his jack to support his neurocyne habit. Lino is recruited by the Psi Faction and is sent on a mission to kidnap Faid. Riuho, Lino’s half brother becomes a prisoner of the Elite military and they experiment on him, train him and subject him to mind control, then send him out on a mission. On his return, Riuho is set on escaping and recruits Faid who hacks into the Psi Faction systems. They escape and return to the Packrats leading up to the start of grydscaen:retribution.

Xlibris

Can you please tell us about your book and why you wrote it?

I wrote grydscaen to give voice to a few messages. Grydscaen is science fiction set in 2055 post nuclear war after the Atlantea Federation dropped a nuclear bomb on the Pacific Territories. The story is basically about hackers against the government and warring factions at a global level vying for control of nations. The lead character is Ameliano Dejarre otherwise known as Lino and he is the son of the Viceroy of the Pacific Territories and a clandestine psychic operative of the Psi Faction fighting to stop cyber terrorism caused by the Packrat hackers who are fighing against the government in the Echelons and the Zone. I wrote the book to shed light on LGBT youth homelessness, hacker’s rights, LGBT equality, stopping bullying and ending the stigma of mental illness. There are various themes throughout the grydscaen series which are weaved throughout the story line.

What were some of the biggest challenges you faced writing it?

The biggest challenge was keeping the world straight. Grydscaen is a multi book epic series and there are various nation states and political entities in the story. Keeping all that straight and sustaining it across multiple books was the challenge.

Do you plan subsequent books?

There are multiple books in the grydscaen series. Currently 4 books are published, grydscaen: utopia, grydscaen: beginnings, grydscaen: retribution and grydscaen: war. A fifth book grydscaen: alliance will be published this year.

When and why did you begin writing?

I began writing because I had a message I wanted to convey. This message drives me. Originally grydscaen was going to be one book but I found I had much more story to tell.

What is your greatest strength as an author?

I think my greatest strength as an author is creating a world and building three dimensional characters. I have had the grydscaen books reviewed and the reviews say that my characters are three dimensional and non stereotypical as well as courageous and heroic.

Did writing this book teach you anything?


I think writing this book taught me more about myself. I had to get in touch with myself to write a story of this depth and emotion. I think I know myself better now having written the book.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.